Tianjin Jiefang North Road is adjacent to the Haihe River, with Jiefang Bridge in the northwest and Jiefang South Road in the southeast to Xuzhou Road. In the modern history of China, it was once a concentrated place for foreign banks. It is known as the "The Oriental call Street of the Tianjin financial institutions. The name of Jiefang North Road is one of history. The French call it the Great French Road. The British call it Victoria Road. It is called the " Central Street” because it runs through the British Concession and the French Concession and is at the center of the two concessions. Today its name is Jiefang North Road.
Jiefang North Road, as a gathering place for financial industry in Tianjin and even in northern China, dates back to the mid-19th century. In 1860, Britain and France built roads in the Tianjin Concession, and started from the French Concession Wan Guoqiao ( Also known as the French Bridge, today's Liberation Bridge), and built a major traffic trunk to the south, running through the two concessions. The central area of the French Concession is the political and economic center of the concession. Enterprises, foreign banks, and shipping companies from various countries came to Tianjin to set up institutions to engage in trade and trade. In 1880 (6th year of Guangxu Emperor), HSBC Bank first came to Tianjin to set up an institution and became the first Foreign bank in Tianjin.It opened here in 1882 (Guangxu eight years). From the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century, more than 10 foreign banks were established in the English and French Concession. Due to the concentration of foreign banks, some of The larger foreign banks and insurance companies rushed to do business here. In the late Qing Dynasty and the early Republic of China, Chinese new banks gradually emerged and concentrations here. Before 1937, this street had become a famous financial center of the north. After The liberation of Tianjin in January 1949, foreign banks were withdrawn from Tianjin, and the Tianjin Branch of the People's Bank of China was established on Jiefang North Road. After the reform and opening up in 1978, Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China,China Construction Bank and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China successfully set up Tianjin Branches here.